If you’re thinking about vacationing in Cancun this month for some typical fun in the sun, think again! Skip the beach towels, sunbathing, and cocktails because we have something infinitely better. Don’t miss out on this year’s Whale Shark season off the coast of Isla Mujeres. Take the opportunity to get close to these gentle giants and we guarantee that Whale Shark diving will be one of the most exciting experiences you’ll have this summer.
Fast Facts: Whale Shark Diving
- The Whale Shark is easily recognisable from its dark blue colour and white spots
- The Whale Sharks migrate to the shores of idyllic Isla Mujeres from mid-May to September
- They are the largest fish species in the world, measuring between 5 to 12 metres (that’s about the size of a tennis court!)
- Don’t be afraid – they’re friendly and docile creatures whose diet largely consists of plankton. So unless you’re a giant floating protozoa, you have nothing to be afraid of!
- Whale Sharks are naturally curious and love to come near boats and people
Tips for Responsible Travel
It’s important to note that the Whale Shark is an endangered species, and when interacting with endangered species there are a few rules and regulations to abide by in order to ensure the safety and protection of these amazing creatures.
- Choose your guide carefully and consciously, making sure that the respect of the Whale Shark is their first priority
- Allow for a minimum of 5 metres of distance between you and the shark
- Approach slowly so as to not cause any stress or panic in the sharks
- Observe these amazing animals from a distance, but don’t touch
- You can’t put on sunscreen, lotions, or oils before diving into the waters in order to keep the habitat clean, but you can certainly protect yourself from the sun afterwards once you’ve finished your dive.
- Don’t fish or feed the Whale Sharks
Isla Mujeres Whale Shark Festival
After swimming with the Whale Sharks you can take your time to appreciate the relaxing atmosphere of enchanting Isla Mujeres, and make sure you don’t miss the 10th annual Whale Shark Festival! This will be the time to partake in dancing, drinking, and yummy local cuisine, and don’t forget to buy your souvenirs from local artisans.
Don’t miss out on this year’s Whale Shark season off the coast of Isla Mujeres!
Have you dived with these giant sea creatures? If so, share your experience in the comments below.